The new collection of Unsprawl case studies by Simmons B. Buntin, with Ken Pirie, including a foreword by Galina Tachieva — published by Planetizen Press and now available.
Unwinding the unsustainable ways in which we’ve built our communities over the last half-century is the most pressing challenge confronting planning, design and development today. Utilizing a dozen case studies from throughout North America, Unsprawl examines the visionary, controversial and ultimately successful strategies employed to introduce new patterns of development into a regulatory, cultural and financial landscape structured to encourage sprawl.
As architect Galina Tachieva notes in her foreword, “Whether they are downtown redevelopments, new greenfield villages, retrofits or ambitious sustainability experiments, the projects in this book demonstrate the long-needed revival of our thinking about urbanism.”
- Prospect New Town – Longmont, Colorado
- NorthWest Crossing – Bend, Oregon
- Lenox Village – Nashville, Tennessee
- Rockville Town Square – Rockville, Maryland
- Glenwood Park – Atlanta, Georgia
- Belmar – Lakewood, Colorado
- RiverPlace – Portland, Oregon
- Second Street District – Austin, Texas
- Suisun City Waterfront District – Suisun City, California
- Dockside Green – Victoria, British Columbia
- Prairie Crossing – Grayslake, Illinois
- Civano – Tucson, Arizona